Turquoise is a kind of traditional jade loved by people all over the world. It is one of the four famous jade in China. Turquoise symbolizes success and triumph in the world jewelry custom and is designated as the birthstone of December. And many friends also like to give Turquoise gifts to the older generation or superiors. Now, more and faker Turquoise gifts are appearing in the gift market, including synthetic, dyed and reconstructed ones, which makes it impossible for many consumers to judge the true or false. Today, Topearl shares with you how to distinguish true from false synthesis, dyeing, and reconstruction of turquoise.
How to identify synthetic turquoise?
1. Color differentiation: We can distinguish from each other in terms of color. Gilson synthetic turquoise is uniform in color, while natural turquoise is rich in color. Even if it is the same color spot, the color will be uneven.
2. Composition test: We can distinguish from each other by its composition. Gilson synthesized turquoise has more homogeneous composition, while natural turquoise has more impurities, such as kaolinite, halloysite and other clay minerals, which are often aggregated into fine patches and veins filled between turquoise, and also can see aggregated quartz particles, black-brown texture and color patches formed by limonite and carbon.
3. Magnification observation: Gilson synthetic turquoise has a single structure and a large number of uniformly distributed blue spherical particles that can be seen in magnification observation. Natural turquoise has a fine structure, and the common breccia-like fragmentation structure makes it feel unnatural.
4. Surface observation: Because of the low hardness of synthetic materials, after a period of time, green-blue debris often appears on their surface, and there are cracks.
5. Wire test method: Because the composition of natural turquoise is very complex, checking its wire becomes an important index. If it is natural turquoise, we can observe the surface wire, which has a stereoscopic feeling. Because it is produced naturally, the wire is thick and thin, and the distribution of the situation is also different, which has a natural sense of authenticity; The synthetic Turquoise wire feels smoother. There is no stereoscopic sense, the wire is roughly the same thickness, and it looks more unnatural.
How to distinguish dyed turquoise?
1. Surface observation: Generally, if dyed turquoise, it is usually dark blue-green or dark green and too uniform. This color is obviously different from natural sky-blue turquoise, and it feels unnatural.
2. Cutting method: If it is dyed turquoise, the general color is very light, about 1 mm, we can use the artistic knife to gently cover the drilling place a few times, you will find the punching place, where the color will be covered.
3. Ammonia water test method: We can take some sponge flowers and then dip a little ammonia water to wipe the sample, then the dyed Turquoise will fade.
How to identify reconstituted turquoise?
Reconstituted turquoise is a kind of turquoise particle, which is formed by the compaction of blue powder materials of various copper salts or other metal salts under certain temperature and pressure. It can be identified by the following methods.
1. Magnification method: The reconstructed turquoise is like a magnet with a typical granular structure. The magnified observation shows clear grain boundaries and dark blue dye particles in the matrix.
2. Acid test method: Some reconstituted Turquoise can be dissolved in hydrochloric acid because it contains copper compounds. We drop a drop of hydrochloric acid (the best concentration is the ratio of acid to water is 1:2) on the surface, and it will soon change from blue to light green-blue.
3. Density Testing: The reconstituted turquoise has different densities because of the different amount of binder, so we can distinguish it by measuring specific gravity. PD464
How to choose True turquoise Beads?
1. Color: The color of high-grade turquoise is standard sky blue; followed by dark blue, blue-green, and requires uniform color, the purer and uniform the color, the higher the price.
2. Specific gravity and hardness: High-grade Turquoise requires high density and hardness, i.e. density is about 2.7g/cm3 and Mohr hardness is about 6, because density directly reflects the degree of weathering of turquoise. With the deepening of weathering, the relative density and hardness of turquoise decrease, and the color and quality of turquoise also decrease significantly.
3. Purity: Turquoise often contains impurities such as clay minerals and calcite. These impurities are mostly white. The more impurities, the lower the quality.
4. Special pattern: If turquoise has a special pattern, especially when it has particularity and symbolic significance, its value will be relatively improved, and the products will be well received.
5. Fragmentation: In the sales of turquoise ore, there are certain requirements for fragmentation. The larger the fragmentation, the higher its value.
Turquoise has different themes and different meanings, and another artistic conception presented by ingenious centralization. It not only expresses good wishes but also shows the fashionable shape. It guarantees high-ceramics free stone products, as well as this high-blue color! So choosing a top-grade turquoise is absolutely the best gift!