People’s first impression of Peridot is emerald, and also called olivine. It still occupies an important place in the jewelry industry with its unique grass green and soft luster. Olivine is an August birthstone, which is suitable for wearing in August, especially for people whose birthdays are in August.
Olivine is an ancient gemstone, which was used as jewelry by the ancient Egyptians more than a thousand years ago. The ancient Romans called it “the Gemstone of the sun” and used it as a talisman to dispel evil.
As early as 3,500 years ago, olivine was discovered on St. John’s Island, an ancient Egyptian territory. However, at that time, no one knew what a good treasure the olive-green stone was. It was just named “Sun Gem” according to its color. People at that time believed that olivine was as powerful as the sun and could drive away evil and subdue demons.
However, modern people think that the bright color of olivine can bring people a sense of comfort and happiness in life, also known as the “stone of happiness”, it can make women become gentle and intelligent, happy family, husband and wife harmony.
In addition, the green light of olivine is considered as the “light of wealth” in geomancy, which can enhance the wearer’s wealth, give people positive energy, stimulate self-confidence, and properly meet the challenges of life.
Peridot color is from medium to dark grass green, with a slight yellow hue; some olivine has a dark yellow hue, green and yellow; a small amount of olivine is brown-green, or even green-brown.
How do we identify the real and fake? Just remember four points.
(1) Olivine is mostly transparent glassy luster, partly translucent due to solid-liquid-gas inclusions or dense cracks.
(2) The polychromaticity of olivine is generally weak. Dark green olivine with dichroism mirror can see a weak tricolor, yellow-green – light yellow-green – green; Brown olivine Brown – light brown – dark brown. You can’t see that in light olivine.
(3) The hardness of olivine is 6.5-7, so fake will not be so hard.
(4) Under high magnification, the black, dark red and brown mineral inclusions exist in olivine. These inclusions are either accompanied by disc-like stress striations or gas-liquid inclusions. Olivine also contains many cloud-like inclusions.
There are three standards for high-quality peridot.
(1) Pure and even color, with medium-dark green as the best product, the feeling of mild velvet is better.
(2) There are no inclusions or fissures.
(3) 3-10 carats olivine is rare, so the price is high; more than 10 carats olivine is rarer.
Here are some olivine jewelry or Peridot necklaces for you to become gentle and intelligent, happy family, husband and wife harmony.